Finding Utopia in the Fraser Coast
When I sat down to chat with Fraser Coast Regional Councillor Darren Everard, I knew of Darren as the President of the Hervey Bay Surf Life Saving Club and Councillor/ Deputy Mayor.
As a long time resident of Hervey Bay, Darren, in a nutshell, or lets say crab-pot, is President of the Hervey Bay Surf Life Saving. You can find him in his office, the Torquay Beach, where he is passionate about educating youngsters for life skills in first aid & communication to carry them forward in life. He hasn't always been employed in a community role, formerly a business owner/ butcher (that was a surprise, and I wish I'd learnt that before we chatted - a missed opportunity to chew the fat. Save that for next time.
Darren is a good sport & a nice bloke to sit with me & provide a bit of a Council Round Up. Round Ups are very informal & on this occasion we covered a lot of information to share amongst the community which may hopefully come in handy. Here is a summary of the Round Up today, you can listen to the full podcast (or subscribe to future podcasts) - Episode 22 Finding Utopia Round Up.
- Fraser Coast Events for upcoming 3 - 4 years is currently being considered - What events can be a drawcard to inject funds, create jobs & contribute to making living in this region great.
- World Record attempt for the longest line of mobility scooters is once again taking place in September. Hmmm but will Darren present my suggestion of a figure head. Event will be promoted through facebook.
- Have you been to Utopia. Utopia Falls are situated in the Fraser Coast Region, near Biggenden in the Mt Walsh National Park.
- New Skate Park, Esplanade, Pialba set to open before September 2019 school holidays.
- Council has recently employed 2 Local Laws Officers - A focus is on animal control & barking dogs. Contact council to register you animals. View this video to learn more about what council is doing in the pet space.
Thank you Cr Evehard for taking time to chat.